Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Reality checks...

Driving away from last years CDA Cares event, Tiffany and I were complaining about how bad our feet hurt and how tired we were. After a lot of whining we looked across the street to see a woman in a wheelchair, her legs were amputated below the knees. Ok God, I get it....just be happy you have feet that CAN hurt. It's those reality checks in life that keep me grounded and grateful for my life...even when things are difficult.
We did another CDA Cares just a few days after I got home from my trip to China and Japan. I had quite a few reality checks in China about being grateful. Then the weekend after I came home, more reality checks about the life I live.


Can you imagine being in your 40's...fighting and beating cancer 2 times...then told you have cancer again. You need to start treatment right away but need to have the infected teeth extracted first. You have a job but no dental insurance and make just enough money to survive but not enough for a $3,000 dental appointment. You come to terms that you may just not fight the cancer battle this time...all because you don't have the money to pay for it.
A single mom to 3 kids...she is in her 60's now and remarried. Worked her entire life...20 years at Chevron until her job was eliminated, then at United Airlines until they merged with another airline and her job was eliminated again. This time she retires, has medical insurance but no dental and not enough money to pay for your dental treatments. She gets free air flights for her and a family member for life. She gives this to her grandson who is going away to college so he can come home and visit as much as he wants. What a giving heart she has!
A man in his early 20's who was working full time and lost his job. He is trying to get in a union job at the docks but in the meantime he has a toothache and needs help but does not have enough money to pay for an extraction.
The woman that cries after her extractions are done...I think she's in pain but after her tears dry she says that they are tears of joy and she has the confidence to go on a job interview now. She will be getting a stayplate and she's going to get her smile back. These are just a few of hundreds of stories that come through the doors of the event.


Don't get me wrong though...not all the people that we help have great stories and you feel like butterflies and roses when you are done. I had my fair share of frustrating moments, but I choose to only remember the great success stories. Makes the 12 hour days, sore feet and hungry bellies so worth it.


I leave CDA Cares with a grateful heart and thankful for what I have and where I am in life. I feel selfish...I go into this event volunteering time...and leave with more than I came with.

No comments:

Post a Comment