Monday, June 9, 2014

Flying without hassle

As I was walking through airport security today...I started thinking about how unprepared people are when they fly. I am sure a lot of its lack of knowledge. If you don't fly often, it's hard to keep track of the rules. Can I bring liquids, do I take my shoes off, what should I pack in a carry on?
I fly enough that I now have a routine. I wear the same outfit, pack the same bags and put the same things in them. So....here is how I make it through the travel process with ease. 
1st....I pack a suitcase, small carry on backpack with lots of pouches and my purse. 
In the carry on, I bring a travel toothbrush and paste, my iPod and iPad, earbuds, gum, either pretzels or crackers, a book, all medications, face wash, fuzzy socks and a pair of panties. Let me explain why....there was a time that I did not bring these extras and I paid the price. Did you know that if you are stuck in an airport or even transferred to a hotel overnight because of delays....They do NOT give you your bag. I have been stuck overnight more than once and wearing day or two old undies, have not brushed your teeth or washed your wash and are in desperate need of a snack when all the airport restaurants have closed for the night.....it's not pretty people....NOT pretty at all. 
Ok...next. Always always always wear flip flops. Nothing drives me crazier than the woman in front of me trying to take her knee high boots off to go through security. It's not a fashion show people....it's the airport. You are about to be crammed on a tiny plane with 200 other people for hours. They don't care what you are wearing. 
Also, don't wear jewelry....not even your watch. If I bring a watch...I pack it in the carry on and put it on once I get to the gate. My "airplane outfit" is flip flops, a pair of yoga pants, a t shirt and a zip up hoodie. Not only does this help you get through security faster....but if you get stuck overnight in an airport, would you rather sleep on the floor in yoga pants or a skirt and boots?
 Let me tell you a story about a woman at the San Jose airport a few trips ago. She was ahead of me...she had a short skirt, nylons, high boots, a belt, a jacket and a ton of jewelry on. So, I patiently waited as she undressed to get through security. Thought we were good to go....beep beep. She has to go back. She forgot her dress had pockets and there was something in there. Back she went. Beep beep again....this time, they took her aside and patted her down. Her bag was also pulled to the side. I watched as they pulled out liquid body spray, lotion and two bottles of water. Holy canoles lady, can't you read the signs? I walked through...no beeps...grabbed my bag and flip flops and I was off to Starbucks. The Starbucks was all the way at the opposite side of the terminal that I needed but I had time....so off I went. Got my coffee...sat and ate a pastry and walked what seemed like miles back across the terminal. As I walked past security again....that lady was still putting all her jewelry, shoes and accessories back on. I giggled and went about my business. She created 30 minutes of unnecessary stress for herself. 
Next....when you get to security, empty ALL items from your pockets....this includes paper...your ID and boarding pass. Once you have passed through the TSA officer checking your boarding pass and ID, you won't need your ID again for the trip....put it back in your wallet. You can bring baby formula and baby food on a plane....you can also pack liquid medications. You can still have 3, 3oz containers of liquid that have to fit in a quart size bag. You must remove your shoes and place them in a bin....again..flip flops make this easy as pie! You also have to remove your laptop and put it in a separate bin but this does not apply to iPads. 
Depending on the airline you are flying, you may or may not get to pick your seat ahead of time. I fly southwest most of the time....and if you check in exactly 24hours....to the second....ahead of time....you get priority to get on the plane first and grab the exit row. Sooooooo needed for amazon tall people like myself. Even if the exit row is taken, sit as close to that row as possible. The center of the plane is the widest. The seats in the center are bigger and wider. The further to the front or back you go...the less elbow room you have. Also, I sit down and put my stuff on the seat next to me....if it's not a full flight it will detour anyone from sitting next to you....it works...trust me!
Well, my flight is about to land...soooooooo I hope some of these tips helped you out and can learn from my years of mistakes and hot messes! Happy flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment