Wednesday, April 16, 2014

And the adventure begins.....

13 hours...when you think about what you usually accomplish or what you do in that amount of time, it's a lot. Work a full 8 hour hour work day, go to the gym, maybe even go to the store...go home...cook dinner and relax. 13 hours is a long time. So, I won't lie, I was a little nervous to know that for 13 hours I had to sit on a plane and do nothing! For someone like me....that never slows down...that was a lot to take in. Sure, they show you movies...feed you...give you coffee and tea. I tell you what, after about 8 hours I was getting cabin fever! Plus being a long legged chica helps in most situations...sitting in economy for 13 hours is not one of those times. Also, it was also a strange feeling that it never got dark. It felt like we are on the plane for 2 days...and each time I opened my window, I was anticipating to see the sunset or darkness...but the bright light always shone through....strange feeling for sure!



But good news, we are now in China! Flying over was beautiful...the mountain peaks still blanketed with snow...tons of windy roads...and everything is green! The windy roads remind me of that paper game you play as kids, where the maze has 3 options to go through but you have to pick the one that goes to the finish line....that's how the roads look from above. Seems like a really easy way to get lost. Lol. 
We landed and were so happy to be on solid ground that Amy and I literally danced up the tarmac. In China they have several areas you need to pass through before you are ready to explore. First, inspection if you have the flu...then immigration....then your bags....then customs. Everything went off without a hitch. I got my China stamp in my passport (can I hear a whoot whoot) and we were ready. Originally we planned to take the malev train and subway to our hotel...but after almost 24 hours of no sleep our brains were mush...so when the man in the white coat came running along side us wanting to sell us a car service to the hotel....it did not matter the cost...we were doing it. I imagine there's a whole group of those men...standing on the sidelines....looking for the most exhausted individuals to snag with their  talk about a comfy car service. So, we had a car waiting outside for us...got loaded up and the adventure began.

I thought people in San Francisco drove crazy...I was wrong....way wrong. I will never complain about Bay Area drivers again....well at least until the memory of this ride wears off. This is the best way to describe it, you know when you are watching an 8 year old play a car racing video game? They weave in between cars, almost hit the side walls, honk when they are at fault. Times that by ten and that was the ride to  the hotel. Mr. Toads Wild Ride I called it. It was actually a lot of fun...it seemed like this was the normal over here. 
Made it safe to the hotel and check in...the plan was to see the BUND at night all lite up...but remember when I said our brain was mush??? Yah...the bund had to wait. 
All I wanted was a soft bed and sllllllleeeeepppppp! We made it to our room....and could not turn on any lights....I was thinking...do u have to tell them when you check in that you want the electricity turned on...so odd. After Amy and I spent minutes trying to figure it out, we found a slot that you need to keep your key in...if you want electricity in your room...oh the laughter we shared...was it because it was really that funny or because we were delirious from a lack of sleep!?!? Got a 8 hours sleep...and I am ready for a fun filled day of adventures, look out China...here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment