Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I ate a taco...but not the kind your thinking of!

Last day in Japan...feeling a little sad that I need to leave tomorrow morning. We decided to have a lax day...went shoping...more eating and took family photos for them. We ate at a traditional Japanese restaurant and drum roll please.......I tried octopus. When I thought we were going to tacos....I thought Mexican...not octopus. Lol. I can promise you, it does not taste like a taco. I don't like fish...so trying this was an adventure! It did not really have a taste....but holy candles the texture was strange. It was super chewy and reminded me of chicken gristle. Proud of myself for trying it but can guarantee that was a one time only deal.
 
We also went to a Japanese grocery store. That was interesting. All their produce is pre packaged...so if you want carrots, you have to get an entire bundle...not just what you need. They had fish just sitting on ice in the meat section and all the meat came in very small quantities.
Here are the things I learned in Japan.
-they have an attention for detail that can't be denied. Everything from their cakes to their buildings are very detailed and beautiful. Everything is presented in the best fashion. 
-you ride the escalator on the left side unless you want to walk fast...opposite in America, so I assume it has to do with which side of the road we drive on. 
-the toilets have heated seats and sometimes even speakers with the sound of water rushing for privacy and sometimes even a bidet. The heated seats are my favorite. I wish we had that in the States in public restrooms. 
-paper towels are not available in all restrooms so women carry a small hand towel in their purse to dry their hands. 
-bowing to someone when you pass by or after a conversation is a sign of respect. 
-people are so quiet and rarely make eye contact when passing you by on the street. I do not feel like a  specticel here like I did in china. 
-the customer service is great. People seem to want to please you...it's genuine. 
-ordering food is very different...it's like ordering in stages...you can't just say I want the steak, there are many options including picking the weight of your food. Kinda nice to order your portion size.
-the country is so clean and the air is too. 
-the climate can change in a minute. One second it is warm, the next freezing.
-when u are finished eating with your chopsticks, always place the on the edge of the bowl, not in the bowl.
-the subway can get packed but everyone is aware of their own space bubble...no pushing.
-a lot of people wear the doctor masks
-7/11 is super popular...they have actual food too...and it's tasty. 
-a corn dog in America is called an American dog in Japan. 
-kanitchewa...is how u say hello. 

I will not only miss my friends but also Japan. Even though it's a huge culture shock for me...I have grown to love the country. The quiet nature and the sutle bow when you greet someone. People going out of their way to help others. The beautiful ring of the language. The food...oh let's not forget the food! Their beautiful presentation of everything. No small detail is ever left out. The shape of the houses and the architecture. The mountain side and beautiful blossom trees. 
On my flight home, I had no one in my aisle at all. I put up all the arm rests and layed flat....best way to fly EVER! I watched the sunset and pinks and purples glow through the window....then the sunrise a few hours later. I come home a different person...learning a lot about not only the culture but tolerance and patience when others are traveling and don't know the language. I love Japan...but I missed the comforts of home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment