Saturday, February 28, 2015

We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.

I went to the celebration of life for an amazing woman last weekend. As I was sitting there watching the slideshow of photos of her life it makes you realize that you really don't know how long you have here on earth. It's so important to LIVE your life to the fullest. Karen was a great example of this! As I was sitting there in a packed church of people that loved her, it made me realize what an impact she made in people's lives without even realizing it. Do you ever wonder if the things you say, do or the way you simply live your life is making an impact on someone? Karen made an impact on more than just a church full of people but thousands of kids that passed through her classroom, countless people that she met on her road trips and everyone she met in her day to day life. 
She had countless admirable qualities....her faith in God was the quality I most admired. Even through her illness, her faith never wavered. She always had faith in Gods plan. I hope that my faith stays as strong as hers if I am ever faced with that situation. We had a common passion in life....photography. As she traveled she took photos on every adventure. Watching the slideshow of the photos of her life...you could see her joy for life!
It comfirmed my need to take lots of photos on my adventures in life. During any moment in life...we aren't thinking that we will forget that moment someday. How many times have you looked back at a photo and thought that you forgot that memory....or started remembering everything that happened during that time in life. Funny little moments that seemed insignificant at the time...but bring so much joy years later. 
I have a photo of Rob and Gabe. Gabe must be around five years old. Just a normal day eating dinner and Rob dared Gabe to put hot sauce on his dessert. Gabe did it and the reaction for both of them was a priceless moment. I caught that moment in a picture and it now sits on my fridge as a reminder of the times of laughter. I can't say for sure if I would have remembered that moment without the picture...but I doubt it. 
I feel like our cameras are our eyes...and the shutter freezes that moment in time. I like to think of photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment